You have successfully entered 2nd month:
In the second month of your pregnancy, your baby is growing, all the signs and symptoms of your pregnancy which started in your first month will continue but in a more pronounced way and this this time the pregnancy hormone has started acting on the muscles of the pelvis softening the ligaments. You might have started to feel little discomfort around your low back. The Breast is enlarging, fatigue, craving and aversion of certain food, Nausea and or vomiting, frequent urination, there may or may not be spotting in this month.
Signs and symptoms you will expect in your second month
Breast Your breast will be more firm, areola ( area around the nipples of your breast) darkens the more and small nodules may appear, nipple becomes prominent
Bladder Three things act on the bladder which makes the bladder wants to empty quickly (frequency of urination)
- Pregnancy hormone increases blood volume, this causes more production of urine and frequent feeling up of bladder.
- The fetus in the womb is increasing in weight and size and is still in the pelvis so pressing on the bladder
- Speed of urine production increased
Taste To Food Your attitudes to certain food may change;
- You may have sudden aversion and craving to some food
- If you are a smoker or alcoholic you may start to dislike smell or taste of them, though this is good, because you taking them may affect your baby adversely
- Certain food when you eat them may stimulate vomiting
Skin Some women in increase pregnancy hormone becomes more beautiful than they look before and this is called “pregnancy glow”
Other women may in their pregnancy, due to increased pregnancy hormone may develop acne on their skin or even look uglier
Mood change You may develop a mood swing due to increased heart work of pumping more blood than before to meet up with increasing demand to supply enough blood to mother and the baby.
You may see yourself some times happy and can become suddenly sad without cause
spontaneous crying and uncertain tearing
anger, sadness and hopelessness
Respiratory system You may develop a constant stuffy nose which can be relieved with humidifier
You may experience shortness of breath due to the body changes that affect the diaphragm by elevating it and refusing its downward movement
Circulatory System; There will be an increase in volume of blood due to hormone purred into the system. Heart pumps more blood than normal causing restlessness and sometimes depression.
Your temperature may be slightly above normal ( 37.4 degrees centigrade or more) do to the activities of pregnancy hormone in your body.
Discharges; There may be increase in vaginal discharge causing itching or irritation.
- You may have slight whitish discharge
- You may witness blood spots
Digestive System; When pregnancy hormone is poured into your system you may experience sour taste and there may be increasing saliva production causing you to spit excessively.
You may develop nausea or even vomiting in some people, this is called morning sickness because it happens more in the morning times than any other time of the day.
When you lose weight due to lack of eating or not eating enough you may experience dizziness or fainting attack
You may also lose weight if you are not eating well or you are experiencing nausea or vomiting in this month
The action of pregnancy hormone is not yet noticeably affecting your bones since the baby is still in the pelvic cavity, But you will be having a feeling of something inside you because this time your baby is like small ball hidden inside your pelvis. 2 months baby in the womb
What You Are expected to do this month
- Be calm, do not take pregnancy as a curse because these signs and symptoms will diminish in due time.
- You suppose to have started with folic acid intake two weeks before your pregnancy 400-600 (mcg. ) daily. If you have not start immediately
- Read newsletters about pregnancy and listen to documentaries concerning pregnant women to help you know about how to carry on your own pregnancy. It will boost your knowledge and can bring relief to worries
- Consult your healthcare provider when you are pregnant or when your home pregnancy test shows positive for your healthcare provider to confirm it with you and to decide the next line of action.
- If you notice any spotting. Though it may be a sign of implantation but still be careful if it goes heavier than spotting report to your doctor/midwife. It might be a sign of imminent miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy
- Take plenty of water to cool your temperature down
- Eat plenty of fruits and green vegetable to help in the normal formation of your baby
- Your healthCare provider may want to carry out some routine tests your first time visit to the clinic.
History taking is important because it will help your doctor to know things like your family history, medical history, your job or anything that can help them find out how to help you to have a successful pregnancy,labor, delivery and after delivery.
The doctor may run blood test to check for your blood percentage which is your Hemoglobin and iron level
Your blood group (BOA) and rhesus factor (RH)
Genetic diseases such as sickle cell anemia and Thalassemia
Your body immunity especially for Rubella and chickenpox, these pose very dangerous condition for the baby in the womb if you suffer them during your pregnancy
Infectious diseases such as Hepatitis B and Human Immuno Virus (HIV).
Here urine testing is done to check for the presence of the following;
- Presence of protein in the urine is a sign of kidney conditions or pregnancy induced-hypertension
- Sugar is a sign of Diabetes
Your doctor might suggest to you for a test called nuchal translucency measurement test which is usually done between 10th to 14th week of pregnancy. This test is done to exclude a possibility of your baby developing down’s syndrome it is generic and the mother or the father who has a family history of or herself having the condition is highly at risk of giving birth to a baby with the disease.
Some doctors make it compulsory to do the test for any pregnant woman that registers in their clinic to make sure that the condition is screened out. It is also compulsory for all registered pregnant mother in united Kingdom to be screened for this diseases
The test is carried out using Ultrasound, the fluid space at the back of the unborn baby’s neck is measured and is used along with the mother’s age and the hormone levels in the blood, to determine the risk that the baby has a no chromosomal abnormality.
This particular test deal with only finding out the possibility of your baby not having the disease so that the positive result, combined with other abnormal findings will mean you will be offered a diagnostic test which will definitely tell you about your baby’s chromosomes.
Body Mass Index
Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is checked by measuring your body weight in kilograms and dividing it by a square of your height in meters. High body mass may be an indication of health problem which may affect your baby. Though you may not gain much weight at this stage due to morning sickness. Those who gain weight at all gain very little.
Check your blood pressure
Your blood pressure is checked to find out if it is elevated or too low.
The normal blood pressure ranges from 110/70 to 120/ 80 as long as you are still within reproductive age any blood pressure result above what we have here is high for your age or any thing below it is low. With this in mind doctor will be able to know what to early if it is either high or low.
How is your baby growing in your womb in this month?
Watch the video above and see how your baby is growing
Knowing how your baby is growing may be very exciting, in this 2nd month your baby is growing measuring up to 1/16 to 1/8 in length
Your baby has started to develop organs like; Brain, gastrointestinal tract, spinal cord, and blood.
Your baby has started to form a groove at the back which will form neural tube and this will eventually develop into spinal cord and brain
At the thoracic region a bulge is formed which will later develop into a heart
your baby is already attached to the placenta through which
he gets its food from the mother and their is amniotic fluid which cushions your baby making it safe in the womb
The eyes and the limbs appear as small buds which develop later into full limbs and eyes
Ultrasound can give the heartbeat of the baby as early as this month
Things you shouldn’t Do at this 2nd month of your pregnancy
- Avoid self medication, if you should take any medicine talk to your doctor
- Do not eat junk foods or snacks as they may contain recipes that might harm your baby. For example some fish, cheese or raw milk contain t retinol which might harm your baby.
- Make sure to quit alcohol and smoking
- Eat more frequently but small at a time so that you do not throw it out due to nausea
- Do not indulge in vigorous exercise but you can take a walk and make sure you are up and about to maintain healthy state.
- Do not carry heavy loads in your hand for a long distance it might affect your back
If you have any query, feedback, or comment leave it in the box below I will be more than happy to attend to you
mum Junction: (July 21 2015) http://www.momjunction.com/articles/2nd-month-pregnancy-care_0079338/#gref
aboukidshealth.ca: (9/11/2009) http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca/En/ResourceCentres/PregnancyBabies/Pregnancy/ThePregnantMother/Pages/The-Second-Month.aspx
WebMD: (2005-2017) http://www.webmd.com/baby/nuchal-translucency-screening-test#1
fit Pregnancy and baby https://www.fitpregnancy.com/5-weeks-pregnant