Overcome Your Low Back Pain In Pregnancy eBook2PDF
How does Posture Affect Pregnant Women
Posture is a contributory cause to a low back pain women experience during pregnancy. The activities of an individual pregnant woman during the day and the way they lie down in bed, sitting, stand or lift things determine what effect the posture can have on them.
when a woman is pregnant and the fetus is growing in her womb. the law of gravity tends to displace spinal vertebrae away from the center creating a curve at the posterior vertebral column keeping the figure in a C-shape.
C-curved spine due to growing fetus
Lifting heavy loads how it causes low back pain
It is not advisable to lift a heavy load from the ground because it will have a bad effect on your back causing back pain, not only on your back but also on the baby. it may even cause miscarriage or premature labor. If you are lifting a weight from the ground you are using your thoracic, abdominal muscles and bearing down the whole weight on the baby in the womb. the whole weight of the upper body and the baby’s weight will rest on the muscles of the hip causing pain. This pain might be temporal or permanent.
Do you want to know the proper way to lift load during pregnancy?
When you are lifting a load during pregnancy, the load should be kept at a shoulder level where you can just slip it on your head or on your shoulder without stress.
If the pregnancy has advanced make sure to carry the weight away from your abdomen, about 15-20 inches away.
Make sure to keep your back straight, keeping it straight can help the spine aligned with nature not bending.
While carrying an object that is heavy, do not pull them but push them it will give you a clearer view of where you are going so that you do not fall back.
Be sure to keep your moderately heavy load you want to carry in your hand close to your waist, it will stop you from twisting to carry it thereby causing pain at your back.
Bad sitting position can as well cause low back pain
Bending Forward; Bending forward to reach a load or an object causes discomfort and strain on your back. It can also harm your baby because your baby will have to carry all your weight when you bend over.
Sitting without Backrest; It is good to use Backrest to support your back while sitting to ease your tiring back from strain and give your spine a support, releasing it from pain.
Hanging legs up why sitting; Is allowed during pregnancy to ease sluggish blood flow from the lower part of the body, but that shouldn’t be up to 10 minutes because it will cause your baby caring all your weight for you which may not be good health-wise.
Half sitting Position; Do not sit in half sitting position for a long time be it on your bed or on a stool. It is contributory for developing low back pain.
Slouching Position; when you are slouching the spinal column is not kept straight. the whole weight settles on your lower back causing pain.
There are other good ways to set that may be good, the most important thing to bear in mind is to be sure not to sit in a place for a long time. When you sit up to 30 minutes get up and walk around to aid proper circulation of blood around the body and relieve the baby from caring the weight. You must also eat that food that contains more of protein, folate, and vitamins to enhance good blood flowing in your system.
Watch the video above to assist you in your positions during pregnancy
Standing wrongly also hurts, Here are the best way to stand during pregnancy
- While standing Do not tilt your head forward, backward sidewards or downwards
- Keep your shoulder blades back and your chest forward
- Stretch the top of your head towards ceiling
- make sure your ear lobes are in line with your shoulders
- keep your knees straight but not locked
- Point your feet in the same direction with your weight balanced evenly on both hips
- pull your stomach in and up ( as much as possible)
- Do not tilt your pelvis forward or backward. Keep your buttock tucked in, the arch of your feet supported with low-heeled (but not flat) shoes to prevent stress on your back.
- Do not stand in the same position for a long time.
When driving during pregnancy; which positions are best?
- When driving, make sure you sit at about 10 inches away from the seat where the airbag is stored.
- Sit close enough to the steering to allow your knees bend and your feet reach the pedals comfortably
- Be sure to put on your lap and shoulder safety belts
- Always use back support like lumbar roll to support your back
- Wear comfortable shoes.
Positions to adapt while sleeping
- You should not lie flat on your back or your stomach. It causes more hard work and stress to your heart and back especially during the third trimester
- Do not lie in a position to draw your legs up to the chest
- Make sure to sleep in a position that will not alter your curve at your back.
- Use firm mattress or if you are used to soft mattress make sure to be in a position safe for you and your baby
- Use one pillow on your head do not pile up pillows as this will not be good for you.
- You make sure to lie on your sides mostly left side so that your weight will not be on your liver which lies largely at the right side of your chest.
- If putting one in between your leg can make you comfortable use it because there is nothing wrong with it.
If you want to get up from a lying position make sure to turn to your side first, draw up your both knees and swing your legs to the bedside, set-up pushing you up with your hand placed on the bed. Avoid bending forward at your waist to avoid injuring your back.
Thank you for reading my post. Please drop a comment, feedback or your own contribution to this post which will be of benefit to the pregnant women and/or to the visitors to this page in the comment box below.
Related articles are: