5th Month of Pregnancy And Low Back Pain
You have successfully entered your fifth month of your pregnancy
Congratulations!! Your pregnancy is actually progressing and you are now enjoying the gift of pregnancy which most women are doing every thing in their power but could not get.
It is time to show showcase your pregnancy because this time all the morning sickness and discomforts are gone. You feel stronger, and healthier to carry on with the days’ activity.
Your abdomen is growing bigger, by now the weight of your baby will be pressing hard on the pelvic nerves including sciatic nerve which is the major pelvic nerve that runs from your buttock to your eggs. When the pressure mounts on them you begin to have discomfort at your lower back and sometimes causing low back pain.
What To Expect In This Your 5Th Month Of Pregnancy
- Your abdomen is growing in size and you are putting on weight, this is because your baby is growing rapidly
- You may develop back pain due to increase in baby size and the pressure on the pelvic nerves
- Family chore might mount pressure especially if this is your second pregnancy looking after your first baby might bring additional work. But don’t worry just take your time or finding a helper might help.
- Center of gravity is changing, and your spinal column is curving to assist in the carrying the weight of your baby. Do your best to maintain a good posture.
- You might start to feel hot flushes despite the weather, this is because your body is working hard to supply blood enough for you and your baby.
- You may found out that your mood can change quickly, thinking of the responsibilities that lies ahead for you when the baby comes. It is normal but think of the present, future will take care of itself.
- As the weight of your baby is increasing and pressing on the veins and arteries supplying your lower body you might start to develop vericous veins on your legs (spider veins) due to inability of your lower blood to flow upwards as before.
- A dark line may run in the middle of your abdomen. This line is called pigmentation, this is because of hormonal surge and it may affect your vision. This is temporal it will fade away.
- There are marks that might appear on your abdomen, buttock, thighs, breast and on your upper arms. These marks appear in different colors (red, purple, white). It is called Strae Graviderum in the medical terms
Watch this video for the signs and symptoms you will expect
Other signs and symptoms You Might expect
- Brittle nails
- Bleeding gums
- Shortness of breath
- hot flushes and red lines in the palms
- Nasal congestion and nose bleeding
- Absent mindedness
- Swollen ankles or Achy feet
- heart burn
- White vaginal discharge
Your Baby In Your Fifth Month Of Your Pregnancy
Your baby is changing significantly and it is very exciting to see how your baby is growing in your womb.
Most of your baby’s features are in place now
- Within the last two weeks of fifth month the weight of your baby doubles.
- The endocrine and the neural system has started functioning controlling your babies movement
- The kidneys are functioning and your baby now producing urine and contributing in the amount of amniotic fluid in the womb sac
- The blood vessels can be seen under your baby’s immature skin
- Your baby’s skin is covered in a white greasy substance called Vernix Caseosa
- Your baby has formed the primary and the deciduous teeth.
- Your baby can now demonstrate some actions like yawning, making cute face and can scratch in your womb
- Your baby can respond to sounds like your voice, your heartbeat and musics
- Your baby now has a unique finger print
- Your baby’s nipples are prominent on its chest
- The reproductive system is formed which is prominent in the showcase of a female sex but the male’s may not have completely descended.
- Legs and arms are formed though flexed at the knees and the ankles
Watch your babies movement in the womb
What To Do In This 5Th Month
- Maintain a good posture to avoid back pain
- Take adequate fluid daily to help in the general body cleansing and supply of fluoride that help your baby bone and teeth growth
- You should do some medical tests
- Maintain your body temperature by have frequent shower and bath at least two times a day to reduce the possibilities of heat rashes on your body
- Eat good and balance diet small but frequently add more fiber to your diet to help you fight constipation
- Wear loose and comfortable clothing
- Be up and about in your house and do your house chores
- Indulge in some work out exercises
- Develop a positive mind about your pregnancy and do not harbor any fear of the unknown
- Make sure to be speaking to your baby because it hears you
- Sleep well and have enough rest to avoid exhaustion. Give yourself enough fresh air every day for your baby needs a lot of oxygen for normal growth
- Get yourself involved in some social activities in your environment
What Not To Do In This Your 5Th Month
- Avoid Alcohol and Caffeine indulgence. It might have negative impact on your developing baby
- Do not feel anxious about your pregnancy as pregnancy is a thing of joy and expectation
- Do not eat unhealthy food. This will do you no good than to increase your body weight and might bring about undesirable conditions like high blood pressure
- Do not over work yourself, it might make you tired and might not be healthy for your baby in the womb
- Do not entertain sudden reflexes in your daily chore, like sudden sitting, standing or any sudden movement, you might feel dizzy or you may stumble and fall
- Avoid lifting heavy loads from the floor like lift your toddler, baskets or anything heavy. Call for assistance
Tests you need to do in Your 5th Month
1, General checks in your first visit to your health provider includes:
Abdominal examination will be done to check the height of your abdomen, the position of your baby and others
Your swollen foot will be checked to know the extend your feet is pitting, whether it is mild or severe to know the type of advice and prescription to give to you.
Your breast will be checked to know the extent of engorgement and to exclude cancer.
By this time your baby must be moving in your womb so the doctor will check you to confirm it is doing so.
Your health provider will listen to your abdomen for the baby’s breath to confirm that it is alive.
Your weight will be checked to found out if your weight is increasing normally and to eliminate your over weight
Your blood pressure will be checked to exclude high blood pressure
All these routine tests your health provider would do to know your general condition and detect any abnormalities in time and treat same to give you a successful pregnancy and a complication free labor and delivery
2, Medical Tests Your Health Provider May Recommend;
Listed below are some of the medical tests your doctor may want be done on you for the same purpose of early detection of diseases or abnormalities to avoid later complications
- Urine testing for sugar and protein levels, infections like any sexual transmitted disease and others
- Blood test for hemoglobin level
- Triple tests called alps-fetoprotein (AFP), human chorion Gonadotropin (hCG) and esteriol multipurpose test to rule out any fetal diseases
- Glucose tolerance tests usually carried out towards the end of 5th month
- Chromosome Abnormality is checked using the method called Cordocentesis and is done in the 18th week of your pregnancy That is within your 5th month
In this your fifth month of pregnancy, your baby has grown significantly. Most of its features are developed the weight is increasing. You are eating more than normal now that your baby is requesting for its portion of food from you. Your weight and the weight of your baby is now pressing hard on bones and nerves of the hip. This will showcase discomfort and low back pain. Sleeping lying on your left side and maintaining a good posture while doing your daily chores will help you reduce the discomfort.